Research > Online Resources > Genealogy
A number of helpful guides to online genealogy searching can be found in the Library’s general and reference collections. The general collection guides are shelved with call number 929.10285.
- Americas Obituary and Death Notices – The largest and most comprehensive collection of newspaper obituaries and death notices. Search by name, date range, or text. This database is available remotely with your Warrenville Library card number and 4 digit PIN.
- Ancestry Library Edition – Includes records from the U.S. census (1790); military record; court, land and probate records; vital and church records; directories and more. This resource not available for remote access - may only be accessed at the library.
- Chicago Death Records – A Genealogy Guide for Finding Death Certificates, Obituaries & Other Records.
- Chicago Genealogical Society – Includes “A potpourri of links for Chicago and Cook County genealogy; Illinois genealogy; Archives / Libraries / Societies; and General genealogy.”
- Chicago Tribune Historical Archive – The Chicago Tribune covers international and nation news, as well as important issues and events in Chicago, Illinois and the entire Midwest. (1985 to present)
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet – Over 35,000 categorized and cross-referenced links for genealogy sites.
- DuPage Genealogical Society – Contains info and links on cemeteries, funeral homes, online publications, online queries, and more.
- Heritage Quest Online – Resource for census data, family records and local histories. This database is available remotely with your Warrenville Library card number and 4 digit PIN.
- Latter-Day Family Search – The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints provides an online search of the millions of names in its International Genealogical Index, and of genealogical sites.
- Legacy.com – Legacy.com offers access to more than 78 million records from the Social Security Death Index dating back to 1937, and hosts more than 10 million obituaries from the majority of prominent newspapers nationwide.
- National Archives and Records Administration – Holds the records of the United States Federal government. Online access to photos, census data, U.S. legal manuscripts, the Federal Register, and numerous additional materials.
- Roots Web – Connects people so that they can help each other and share genealogical research. An award winning genealogical resource with searchable databases.
- U.S. Vital Records Information – Info about where to obtain vital records (i.e. birth or death certificate, marriage license, and divorce decrees) from each state, territory, and county of the U.S.
Inclusion of resources or references to them does not constitute or imply endorsement or support by the Warrenville Public Library District or its employees. The Library does not make warranty, express or implied, or assumes any legal liability for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information from these resources.