Research > Online Resources > Careers & Job Searching
In addition to these websites, a search for the subject “career” in the Library’s online catalog will result in listings that include some eBooks and eAudiobooks that may be downloaded to your computer or mobile device.
Other useful words for searching the Library catalog on this topic are “job hunting”, “occupation”, and “vocation”. Many job hunting items are shelved with call numbers in the 650's at the library.
Career Counseling Centers
- Community Career Center – The Community Career Center is a 501c3 charitable organization sponsored by community donations. They provide information, workshops and classes for job seekers. 1815 W. Diehl Road, Ste. 100, Naperville, IL. Phone: (630) 961-5665, Office Hours: Monday-Thursday: 9:00-3:00, Friday & Saturday: 9:00-1:00.
- COD College and Career Information Center – Provides information on educational opportunities, occupational choices, and job-seeking skills. The center, located on the upper floor of the College of DuPage Library, also has several computer programs available to help in choosing an appropriate college or career. An assistant is available to help with this section of the library. Phone: (630) 942-3364.
- Parents Alliance Employment Project – Organization devoted to improving the quality of life for people with disabilities through individualized employment services including career counseling, workshops, job development and placement, job coaching and support services. A partner with workNet DuPage located at: 2525 Cabot Drive, Suite 302, Lisle, IL.
- People’s Resource Center – Job search assistance helps low income residents of DuPage County secure and maintain employment. Located in Wheaton and Westmont, this social service center also offers computer skills training, ESL classes and tutorials. Job Club: (Wheaton): 201 S. Naperville Road, Wheaton - held the 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month at 1:00 pm. Phone: 630-682-5402 x333.
- workNet DuPage – Career Center offers job postings, networking, workshops, and career assessment opportunities for occupational training grants. Located at: 2525 Cabot Drive, Suite 302, Lisle, IL 60532, Phone: (630) 955-2030.
Career Guidance & Training
- Action Words for Your Resume and Cover Letter – University of Illinois Career Center provides examples of active verbs to strengthen a resume.
- Basic Interview Skills – Rockland Community College provides tips and advice for a successful interview.
- Best Job Interview – Information on phone interviews, negotiating salaries, what to wear, answering common or tough interview questions, and how to follow up.
- Best Sample Resume – Information on resume writing with many free sample resume templates and examples.
- Career Guides to Industries – Published by the U.S. Department of Labor, this source lets you search careers by industry. It also provides information about the different types of careers in the industries, training, earnings, and job market in each state.
- CareerOneStop – This site assists in exploring careers, writing resumes, locating jobs and interviewing. The site is sponsored by the U.S. Dept. of Labor.
- COD Career Exploration/Decision Making – This College of DuPage site provides information on career counseling, classes, workshops, and links to career resources.
- Cover Letters – Purdue Online Writing Lab provides information on what to include in a cover letter and how to format it.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library – Access to more than 380 electronic reference titles — eBooks — in health, medicine, science, art, history, business, biography and more. This database is available remotely with your Warrenville Library card number and 4 digit PIN.
- GlassDoor – Research over 300,000 companies, including company salaries, reviews, and interview questions posted anonymously by employees themselves.
- Glossary of Job Searching Terms – This glossary of job, career, and employment terms is designed to give job-seekers a quick definition -- and then provide links where you can find more details.
- GotResumeBuilder.com – Online resume builder, along with sample resumes and tips for writing and formatting a professional resume.
- Illinois workNet – Offers assistance for Illinois job seekers, job training, career guidance, and tools for managing a job search. (See also: workNet DuPage)
- Interview Do’s and Don’ts – Video guide on interview preparation from Vault.com.
- Job Hunter's Bible – This site is designed as a supplement to Dick Bolles' book What Color Is Your Parachute?.
- LearningExpress – Interactive tutorials and practice tests to help users prepare for high-stakes tests such as the GED, GRE, ACT, and SAT. The platform can help prepare for a wide range of career-oriented licensing and certification exams in health care, education, civil service, and homeland security. This online resource is available remotely, 24/7 to Warrenville Library cardholders. This database is available remotely with your Warrenville Library card number and 4 digit PIN.
- Live Homework Help – Live Homework Help is a free, on-demand online tutoring service from Tutor.com that connects students in Kindergarten - 12th grade and introductory college students to expert tutors in math, science, social studies and English via the Internet. The Adult Learner section supports those earning their GED, seeking grammar help with their resume and more. Live Homework Help is available every day from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. Spanish-speaking tutors are available in math, science, social studies and adult learning every day from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. This database is available remotely with your Warrenville Library card number and 4 digit PIN.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook – A classic reference about occupations from A to Z. Compiled by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Online Computer Software Training – The Library now offers free access to hundreds of online computer courses to Warrenville Library cardholders. Learn how to use Microsoft Office products, brush up on your operating systems knowledge, study web design and even prepare for certification. Users can access the courses at the Library or from their own internet-connected computer. To request your login ID and password, send an email to email@example.com. Use the subject heading “Online Computer Training” and include your name, Warrenville Library card number and email address. Click here for a complete list.
- Preparing Curriculum Vitae – This article provides guidance for writing and preparing curriculum vitae.
- Research Career Types O*NET – Occupations in the same field require similar skills. Use career clusters to help focus education planning toward obtaining the necessary knowledge, competencies and training for success in a particular career pathway.
- The Riley Guide – Links to career resources, including job search sites, resume writing tips, interviewing advice and more.
- Susan Ireland’s Resume Site – Susan Ireland is the author of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to the Perfect Resume. Her website has articles on writing a great resume in 10 steps, sample resumes and more.
- Universal Class Library Edition – Over 540 courses offered in Exercise and Fitness, Entrepreneurship, Arts and Music, Home and Garden Care, Cooking, Computers and Technology, Health and Medicine, Homeschooling, Job Assistance, Law and Legal, Parenting and Family, Pet and Animal Care plus much more. With real instructors guiding the learning, engaging video-based lessons, a collaborative learning environment, graded lesson tests, certificates of achievement and Continuing Education Units available for selected courses, students enjoy an engaging and measurable learning experience that helps them master and document their educational goals. This database is available remotely with your Warrenville Library card number and 4 digit PIN.
- Worker ReEmployment – Employment, training and financial help during job transitions. Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration.
- WSJ Career Journal – Career news from The Wall Street Journal.
- WSJ How-to Guide – Career tips from The Wall Street Journal’s reporters and columnists.
- AbilityLinks.org – Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital provides this site which advertises positions for people with disabilities.
- Affirmative Action Register – The national Equal Employment Opportunity publication directed to females, minorities, veterans and disabled persons, as well as to all employment candidates. Provides professional, managerial and administrative positions for which qualified candidates are being sought.
- CareerBuilder.com – Recruitment and career-advancement source for employers, recruiters and job seekers. Search jobs by keyword, location and category. Post resumes and use the career resources.
- Chicago Job Talk – Chicago area job guide with links to job listings, networking information, special groups help, and an employment blog.
- Chicago Jobs – Source for local jobs in the Chicagoland area. Job seekers can search for jobs quickly and easily.
- College Grad Job Hunter – Provides search advice, job postings, interview preparation, salary information, and resume templates for college graduates.
- Illinois Federal Jobs – U.S. federal government job listings in Illinois.
- Illinois JobLink – Site hosted by the Illinois Department of Employment Security, creating an Illinois JobLink account is free.
- Indeed – A job search aggregator, searches thousands of company web sites and job boards.
- Insight into Diversity – This is a national equal employment opportunity publication (formerly Affirmative Action Register) directed to females, minorities, veterans and disabled persons, as well as to all employment candidates. It provides professional, managerial and administrative positions for which qualified candidates are being sought.
- Job-Hunt.org – Job search and employment resources center - PC Magazine Best of the Internet and Forbes Best of the Web for Job Hunting.
- Jobs in Chicago – Only lists jobs within 80 miles of the city. Offers resume postings, quick search, and a newsletter.
- Juju: Job Search Engine – searches millions of jobs from thousands of sites.
- Monster.com – Touted as the biggest and most comprehensive Internet job search engine on the web.
- NPOnet – Listings of jobs available with Chicago Area Nonprofits.
- Snag a Job – View job openings from companies hiring hourly workers in your local area.
- workNet DuPage – Career Center offers job postings, networking, workshops, and career assessment opportunities for occupational training grants.
- ReferenceUSA Business – Directory information on USA businesses, from 1 to more than 10,000 employees. Includes executive names, company addresses, phone numbers, ticker symbols, websites, headquarters and more. This database is available remotely with your Warrenville Library card number and 4 digit PIN.
- ReferenceUSA New Business – Directory information on new USA businesses - 50,000 added weekly. Includes employee size, sales volume, zip code, SIC listing and more. This database is available remotely with your Warrenville Library card number and 4 digit PIN.
Inclusion of resources or references to them does not constitute or imply endorsement or support by the Warrenville Public Library District or its employees. The Library does not make warranty, express or implied, or assumes any legal liability for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information from these resources.